Drying Hardwood Floors after Water Damage in Victor
SERVPRO Technicians Quickly Assess and Then Dry Out Your Home After Water Damage
Perhaps one of the most discouraging sights a Victor homeowner sees after excessive water enters living areas is damage to hardwood floors. Regardless of the source of the moisture, if enough is present, it eventually spreads across the floors of your home. Although properly installed and finished hardwood is resilient if the spill or leak is mopped up quickly, more extended exposure can swell and distort the organic fibers of the floor. We have strategies that prevent further damage and can ready the surface for restoration.
The source of water damage to your Victor hardwood floors can vary, from overflowing tubs and sinks, leaking aquariums, rain blown in an open window, plumbing fails in nearby walls or a host of other reasons. Vigilance on the part of the homeowner in cleaning up occasional spills and a call for professional help when a more significant water event occurs is critical. The faster our well-qualified water remediation crews respond, the more likely your hardwood floors recover successfully from water damage.
When we arrive, the crew chief assesses the situation, noting the ingress point of the water and the migration pattern of the moisture across the floor. SERVPRO uses sensitive moisture meters to map out the areas of damage and to establish a baseline as we determine the drying goals for the flooring. Hardwood typically lies over at least one type of subfloor which can contribute to unresolved and continuous water damage if we do not address its drying as well.
SERVPRO technicians employ extraction equipment always available on our service vehicles to remove standing water. We use pumps for water deeper than two inches, and truck-mounted wanded extractors for residual, non-absorbed moisture. After the surface is clear of water, we move to advanced technologies such as drying mats to remove the moisture saturated inside the planks and in the subfloor.
Drying mats permit multiple and customizable configurations best designed to remove the water fast in the areas targeted by our metered readings. Hoses concentrate pressurized air over panels adhered with an airtight seal on the water damaged expanses. The water from all flooring layers suctions out as the system works. SERVPRO employees train extensively on how to operate the drying mats, adjusting and adapting the configuration as the drying progresses.
Take advantage of our specialized floor drying equipment and the experience of our trained technicians at SERVPRO of Victor/Canandaigua. Avoid the necessity of replacing expensive and beautiful hardwood floors after water damage with one call to (585) 393-0310.
The Premier Cleanup & Restoration Company in the Fingerlakes
Fire and/or water damage can be devastating to deal with. Not only is your life put on hold, but the stress that comes with it can be overwhelming. So, when fire and/or water damage happens to you, trust the experts at SERVPRO of Victor/Canandaigua to make it, “Like it never even happened”.
Our professional technicians have the proper training and equipment to handle any size disaster that may arise, and know how to mitigate the damage quickly in order to prevent further damage from occurring.
Our technicians are available 24/7, because fire and/or water damage rarely happens within normal business hours. And, we guarantee that someone will be onsite within 2 hours of you notifying our office of a loss to begin assessing the damage. If you experience fire and/or water damage give the experts at SERVPRO of Victor/Canandaigua a call at (585) 393-0310 immediately.
Fall Weather can Trigger Allergies
When many people think of allergies, they think of springtime, but fall can be just as troublesome as the spring months. Here’s why as the days get shorter, your runny nose, itchy eyes and scratchy throat might worsen.
- Ragweed pollinates in the fall. The most common fall allergy is ragweed, a soft-stemmed weed that produces vast amounts of pollen – about a million grains per plant every day! These grains of pollen are so lightweight they can travel up to 400 miles on the wind. Ragweed pollinates from mid-August to October, depending on where you live. According to the Asthma and Allergy Foundation, an estimated 10-20% of Americans suffer from ragweed allergies.
- Mold spores are released in the fall. If you are allergic to the spores of mold or other fungi, you likely experience symptoms in the fall. Molds can be found wherever there is moist, organic material. Outdoors, they grow on plants, rotting logs and decaying leaves. Mold spores are released in the fall and spread through the air as crops are harvested and leaves fall to the ground.
- Unpredictable weather extends fall allergy seasons. Warm, dry weather that lasts longer than usual in the fall months allows ragweed pollen to linger and continue to cause symptoms. In areas that experience a wetter-than-normal fall, mold spores can circulate later into the season.
- Dry indoor air triggers allergy symptoms. As the temperature cools outside, people fire up their heating systems, leading to drier indoor air and increased circulation of dust and pollen. Low humidity inside a home can dry out people out and cause inflammation, triggering allergy symptoms. To prevent problems caused by dry air, aim for an indoor humidity level of 40-50%; use a hygrometer to monitor humidity levels.
Detecting the Water behind the scenes
Moisture Meters (pictured) are used to determine the actual moisture content of various materials.
Even small water damages have the potential to cause serious structural and indoor air quality issues over time that you may not be able to even see.
The key to avoiding costly future restoration is to handle every water problem as a real threat to your property. SERVPRO® of Victor/Canandaigua has the equipment, training and experience to find and dry unseen water before secondary damages occur. The proper equipment makes a measurable difference in reducing the damage expense during a fire or water loss. When time matters, technology and equipment must be counted on to perform. SERVPRO® of Victor/Canandaigua will answer your call with fast action and a full arsenal of drying equipment. Here are a few of the tools used by your local SERVPRO® Franchise Professionals.
- Moisture Sensors are used to detect moisture in carpets, baseboards and Moisture Meters (pictured) are used to determine the actual moisture content of various materials. The moisture tester provides accurate readings, allowing SERVPRO® Franchise Professionals to monitor the drying process.
- Thermohygrometers measure temperature and relative humidity. When armed with this information, SERVPRO® of Victor/Canandaigua can calculate and create an environment most conclusive to drying.
- When facing a contaminated water loss, it is not only important to dry the structure, but the structure must also be disinfected and often deodorized.
- Ultra-Low-Volume (ULV) Foggers will atomize liquid deodorizing agents, producing a fine mist that can easily penetrate the site where odor-causing residues may accumulate. This device can also be used to inject fungicides and disinfectants into wall cavities and other hard-to-reach
- Thermal Foggers (pictured) dispense solvent-based produces by creating a dense fog. The fog consists of tiny particles of deodorant solution that attach to and neutralize odor causing particles.
What is the bottom line? SERVPRO® of Victor/Canandaigua (585-393-0310) has the training and equipment to help make it "Like it never even happened."
Fast, Professional Restoration for Storm Damage
We can restore your home and contents after a water damage
Rain, Snow and Wind are a bad combination for New York residents. Winter Storm season is approaching our area and the predictions are for more precipitation than last year. Temperatures are expected to be lower than normal which can lead to frozen and busted pipes. All these predictions mean is that it is time to get prepared!
Shovels, Generators, Clean Gutters, Roof Patches and saving SERVPRO of Victor/Canandaigua number (585-393-0310) to your cell are the most important steps. It is unrealistic to think storm damage cannot affect you. If it does you need to act fast for a better chance of restoring your home and possessions. Our IICRC-Certified technicians come equipped to extract water and assess the damage to the structure. We understand that getting your home dry and your belongings restored is your number one priority. We are here to help!
Fire Prevention Week
October 6 – 12, 2019 is National Fire Prevention Week. Unfortunately, SERVPRO of Victor/Canandaigua performs fire damage remediation and sees too many properties and lives go up in smoke. We urge you to take some time NOW to prepare.
The National Fire Protection Week 2019 Campaign is “Not Every Hero Wears a Cape. Plan and Practice Your Escape!” There are 4 planning tips to incorporate in your fire plan:
- Draw a map of your home and identify 2 ways to escape from every room.
- Test your fire alarms.
- Establish a safe meeting place outside.
- Post the plan in your home.
In a typical home fire, you may have as little as one to two minutes to escape safely from the time the smoke alarm sounds. For more information on Fire Prevention Week, visit www.nfpa.org.
In a fire, mere seconds can mean the difference between a safe escape and a tragedy. Fire safety education isn’t just for children. Teenagers, adults, and the elderly are also at risk in fires, making it important for every member of the community to take some time during Fire Prevention Week to make sure they understand how to stay safe in case of a fire.
What to do Immediately after a House Fire
Fires can be devastating! Know what to do!
- Ask whether it is safe to enter the home. Do not enter if the fire authorities deem it unsafe. They may establish a safety zone, but never assume a room is safe, until it has been cleared to enter.
- Know who to call.
- Contact family members and let them know you are safe, and unharmed.
- Contact your insurance agent. They will be able to talk you through the necessary steps, including proper documentation and emergency lodging and living expenses (keep all of your receipts!) The insurance company may assist in securing a company to help with clean up options.
- You may request SERVPRO at this time for contents cleaning, restoration etc. Contact
- Another call may be to your landlord if applicable, and to your local American Red Cross. SERVPRO is the preferred restoration partner to The American Red Cross.
- Secure the property to prevent possible looting. SERVPRO is available to assist with securing property/ Board Ups.
- If water hoses were used to exterminate the fire, drying your home is critical. It is best to call the professionals at SERVPRO to do water/ fire cleanups. Water can lead to mold damage if not dried properly. SERVPRO is an approved restoration contractor for many major insurance carriers and adheres to the highest standards in the restoration industry.
- Seek counseling if needed. Children and adults can feel a traumatic sense of loss, and may need help to avoid a lasting sense of sadness and disorientation after a house fire. Don’t be afraid to reach out for help. A house fire is a traumatic event and individuals need to be treated with respect and compassion by those close to the process of rebuilding.
For more information on contents and structural drying, extinguisher residue and soot removal call SERVPRO at (585) 393-0310.
Restoring your Commercial Property after a Water Damage
Faster to Any Size Disaster
Flooding and water damage events at Victor or Canandaigua commercial properties are often complex with numerous issues that require a knowledgeable and flexible response. Whether we’re dealing with a relatively small water cleanup scenario or a large-scale event, we work quickly to assess each unique situation and isolate the damaged area. In many instances, normal operations can continue in a temporary space while we restore your facility.
Restoring Commercial Properties Presents Unique Challenges
Our professionals are trained to be mindful of legal and environmental concerns and strive to fully restore the damaged area while working within your budgetary constraints. We understand that every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. So when an emergency situation arises in your business, give us a call and we’ll be there fast with the help you need.
About SERVPRO of Victor/Canandaigua
SERVPRO of Victor/Canandaigua specializes in the cleanup and restoration of commercial and residential property after a water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
Have water damage in your business? Call us today! (585) 393-0310
Electrical Safety Tips!
In the past year, SERVPRO of Victor/Canandaigua has seen numerous electrical fires. One fire in Victor was caused by a cell phone charger and the entire single-family home burned to the ground.
SERVPRO of Victor/Canandaigua recommends the following tips to make sure you are protected:
- Electrical Extension Cords. If you have tenants regularly using extension cords, you may need additional outlets installed in some units. Extension cords are always meant to be a short-term solution.
- Tamper Resistant Outlets. Install tamper resistant outlets for day care centers or schools to ensure no one gets shocked or no inappropriate objects are put into outlets.
- GFCI Outlets. Inspect GFCI outlets to reduce risk of electrical shock to your tenants. National Code requires them in all kitchens, bathrooms, garages, and outdoor areas.
- Panel and AFCI Receptacles. Be sure to inspect your electrical panels and AFCI receptacles. Both works to ensure safe conditions if an arc fault is detected. An arc fault is when damaged wiring or a device creates a hot or unsafe situation.
Since each smoke and fire damage situation is a little different, each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions. When various materials burn, the soot and residue they create differs greatly and requires a specific cleaning procedure. The steps listed below illustrate our process for the “typical” fire damage restoration. Learn more about our fire damage restoration process.
- Emergency Contact
- Inspection and Fire Damage Assessment
- Immediate Board-Up and Roof Tarp Service (if needed)
- Water Removal and Drying (if water damage is present)
- Removal of Smoke and Soot from All Surfaces
- Cleaning and Repair
Have Questions about Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage? Call Us Today – (585) 393-0310
Preparing a Church for a Disaster
Places of worship are so important to us. They are often a place for shelter in the midst of a disaster. That is why it is so important that all churches are prepared for the worst to come.
Here are some tips at preparing your place of worship for a disaster:
- Identify hazards or threats early
- Take necessary precautions for those hazards or threats.
- Plan evacuations
- Train your church staff for emergency readiness and response.
- Prepare surrounding members of the community.
- Be prepared to provide help or aid to your church members after a disaster strikes.
SERVPRO of Victor/Canandaigua is faster to any size disaster. If you or your church finds yourself in need, give us a call at (585) 393-0310