Do You Know What Mold is?
Mold (or mould) is a term used to refer to fungi that grow in the form of multicellular thread-like structures called hyphae. Fungi that exist as single cells are called yeasts. Some molds and yeasts cause disease or food spoilage, others play an important role in biodegradation or in the production of various foods, beverages, antibiotics and enzymes.
Mold is also found in damp building materials where it often appears like stains and comes in a variety of colours. A must smell is an indication of microbial growth even when there is no visible growth. If mold is allowed to grow in homes or offices it can contribute to poor indoor air quality. Some molds such as the Dry Rot Fungus, Serpula lacrymans, are highly destructive. For more details about dry rot fungus read Occurrence and Significance of Dry Rot Fungus, Serpula lacrymans.
Mold growth requires moisture. The sources of moisture could be Washing, cooking, air humidifiers, condensation or leaks from plumbing or from the outside. Poor ventilation contributes to higher humidity levels and leads to condensation, which also allows mold growth.
Molds release small “spores” into the air. So, when mold grows indoors, the number of mold spores and fragments is usually higher indoors than it is outdoors. These spores are small enough that people can actually inhale them deep into the lungs.
Preparing a Church for a Disaster
Places of worship are so important to us. They are often a go to place for shelter in the midst of a disaster. That is why it is so important that all churches are prepared for the worst to come.
Here are some tips at preparing your place of worship for a disaster:
1. Identify hazards or threats early
2. Take necessary precautions for those hazards or threats.
3. Plan evacuations
4. Train your church staff for emergency readiness and response.
5. Prepare surrounding members of the community.
6. Be prepared to provide help or aid to your church members after a disaster strikes.
SERVPRO of South East Monroe County is faster to any size disaster. If you or your church finds yourself in need, give us a call at 585-641-0040!
Add Duct Cleaning to Your House Cleaning List
Very often, when a fire or smoke damage occurs, the air ducts in your home can be affected. Here is some information on getting them cleaned from Home Advisor: The cost of cleaning your air ducts is determined by the size of your air duct system and the extent of contamination. On average, homeowners spend between $265 and $471, with $352 being the national average.
Did you know that cleaning your ducts and vents can help airflow and increase energy efficiency? According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), keeping your air ducts and vents clear can increase energy efficiency and indoor air quality. While the cost to clean ducts and vents might sound high, the benefits to homeowners?especially those sensitive to allergens?is worth considering.
When looking to have your ducts cleaned, or any other part of your home, for any reason, give SERVPRO® of Victor/Canandaigua a call (585-393-0310)! We are here to help you make it "Like it never even happened."
Sensing Water in your Home that you Can't See
Even small water damages have the potential to cause serious structural and indoor air quality issues over time.
The key to avoiding costly future restoration is to handle every water problem as a real threat to your property. SERVPRO of Victor/Canandaigua has the equipment, training and experience to find and dry unseen water before secondary damages occur. The proper equipment makes a measurable difference in reducing the damage expense during a fire or water loss. When time matters, technology and equipment must be counted on to perform. SERVPRO® of Victor/Canandaigua will answer your call with fast action and a full arsenal of drying equipment. Here are a few of the tools used by your local SERVPRO® Franchise Professionals.
- Moisture Sensors are used to detect moisture in carpets, baseboards and Moisture Meters (pictured) are used to determine the actual moisture content of various materials. The moisture tester provides accurate readings, allowing SERVPRO® Franchise Professionals to monitor the drying process.
- Thermohygrometers measure temperature and relative humidity. When armed with this information, SERVPRO® of Victor/Canandaigua can calculate and create an environment most conclusive to drying.
- When facing a contaminated water loss, it is not only important to dry the structure, but the structure must also be disinfected and often deodorized.
- Ultra-Low-Volume (ULV) Foggers will atomize liquid deodorizing agents, producing a fine mist that can easily penetrate the site where odor-causing residues may accumulate. This device can also be used to inject fungicides and disinfectants into wall cavities and other hard-to-reach
- Thermal Foggers (pictured) dispense solvent-based produces by creating a dense fog. The fog consists of tiny particles of deodorant solution that attach to and neutralize odor causing particles.
What is the bottom line? SERVPRO® of Victor/Canandaigua (585-393-0310) has the training and equipment to help make it "Like it never even happened."
Make Sure your Business is Ready at All Times!
When fire or water damage puts the things that matter most on the line, you need the very best help on the line as well. That’s why knowing the easiest ways to contact SERVPRO® of Victor/Canandaigua is so important. Just go to our website on your mobile phone or call 585-393-0310 to get the team that’s faster to any size disaster. We’re a leader in giving control back to homeowners, property managers, and even entire communities after the ravaging effects of water or fire. So whether you’re responsible for 1,000 square feet or 100,000 – be ready for the worst with the very best.
Here are 8 reasons why your company should get an Emergency Ready Profile® today on every one of your buildings.
- A no-cost assessment of your facility.
- A concise Profile document that contains only the critical information needed in the event of an emergency.
- A guide to help you get back into your building following a disaster.
- Establishes your local SERVPRO® Franchise Professional as your disaster mitigation and restoration provider.
- Identification of the line of command for authorizing work to begin.
- Provides facility details such as shut-off valve locations, priority areas, and priority contact information.
SERVPRO® of Victor/Canandaigua is part of a Franchise System that has more than 50 years of leadership in cleanup and restoration. Our track record of results has earned us the trust of the insurance industry, countless homeowners, and in one unforgettable instance, even the Pentagon. We are quietly taking to the streets, every hour of every day, proving that whenever there is a house full of water or an office full of smoke, there is also a van full of clean.
Severe Flooding Tips
Since SERVPRO supports the American Red Cross we love sharing their tips when it comes to flooding occasions.
Check out www.redcross.org for more information!
FLOODING Heavy rains could fill rivers and streams, bringing flooding to the area. If your neighborhood is threatened with the possibility of flooding, here are some things you should do:
1. Be prepared to evacuate at a moment’s notice. When a flood or flash flood warning is issued for your area, head for higher ground and stay there.
2.Stay away from floodwaters.
3. If you come upon a flooded road while driving, turn around and go another way. If you are caught on a flooded road and waters are rising rapidly around you, get out of the car quickly and move to higher ground. Most cars can be swept away by less than two feet of moving water.
4. Keep children out of the water.
5. Be especially cautious at night when it is harder to recognize flood danger.
DOWNLOAD EMERGENCY People should download the free Red Cross Emergency App to receive emergency alerts and information about what to do in case of tornadoes, flooding and other disasters, as well as locations of shelters. The App also includes emergency first aid information and a Family Safe feature which allows people to instantly see if loved ones are okay. The free Emergency App is available in app stores by searching for the American Red Cross or going to redcross.org/apps.
If you experience flooding, call SERVPRO of Victor/Canandaigua at (585) 393-0310.
Faster to any Water Damage
Flooding and water emergencies don’t wait for regular business hours and neither do we. SERVPRO of Victor/Canandaigua provide emergency cleaning and restoration services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week—including all holidays.
Faster To Any Size Disaster
Flooding and water damage is very invasive. Water quickly spreads throughout your home and gets absorbed into floors, walls, furniture, and more. SERVPRO of Victor/Canandaigua arrive quickly and start the water extraction process almost immediately. This immediate response helps to minimize the damage and the cleaning and restoration costs.
Need Emergency Service? Call Us 24/7 –585-393-0310
Water Damage Timeline
- Water quickly spreads throughout your property, saturating everything in its path.
- Water is absorbed into walls, floors, upholstery, and belongings.
- Furniture finishes may bleed, causing permanent staining on carpets.
- Photographs, books, and other paper goods start to swell and warp.
Hours 1 - 24:
- Drywall begins to swell and break down.
- Metal surfaces begin to tarnish.
- Furniture begins to swell and crack.
- Dyes and inks from cloth and paper goods spread and stain.
- A musty odor appears.
48 Hours to 1 Week:
- Mold and mildew may grow and spread.
- Doors, windows, and studs swell and warp.
- Metal begins to rust and corrode.
- Furniture warps and shows signs of mold.
- Paint begins to blister.
- Wood flooring swells and warps.
- Serious biohazard contamination is possible.
More Than 1 Week:
- Restoration time and cost increase dramatically; replacing contaminated materials and structural rebuilding may be extensive.
- Structural safety, mold growth, and bio hazard contaminants pose serious risks to occupants.
Advantages of the SERVPRO Emergency Ready Profile
- A no cost assessment of your facility
- This means this is no need to allocate funds, giving you a great value at no cost.
- A concise Profile Document that contains only the critical information needed in the event of an emergency
- It will only take a little time to complete and will not take you away from current projects, but it will save a lot of time if ever needed.
- A guide to help you get back into your building following a disaster
- This can help minimize the amount of time your business is inactive by having an immediate plan of action.
- Establishes SERVPRO of Victor/Canandaigua as your disaster mitigation and restoration provider
- You have a provider that is recognized as an industry leader and close by.
- Identification of the line of command for authorizing work to begin
- This saves time so we can begin the work of mitigating the damage which can save you time and money
- Provides facility details such as shut-off valve locations, priority areas and priority contact information.
- Having a quick reference of what to do, how to do it and who to call provides solutions in advance of an emergency so that during the emergency you are "Ready for whatever happens"
Confusion and misunderstanding surround the topic of mold and mold remediation. Some restoration businesses even make claims to remove all mold from a building. This is a fallacy. Mold spores occur naturally almost everywhere, both indoors and outdoors. These microscopic spores float along in the air and can enter a home or business through windows and HVAC systems. Consider these facts:
- Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
- Mold spores are microscopic and float along in the air and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/Heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
- Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
- Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise, the mold may return.
- Mold often produces a strong, musty odor and can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
- Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.
Call SERVPRO of Victor/Canandaigua Today! (585)641-0040
Soda Blasting, What's That??
I don't know about you, but the first thing I think about when someone says 'soda blasting' is a bunch of kids running around shaking up cans of soda and spraying them at each other. If you were thinking along the same lines as me, you will be surprised to find out that soda blasting is a very helpful way to clean a fire damaged house.
Soda blasting is a process in which sodium bicarbonate is applied against a surface using compressed air. Soda blasting is a non-destructive method for many applications in cleaning, paint & varnish stripping, automotive restoration, industrial equipment maintenance, rust removal, graffiti removal, oil removal, soot remediation and much more.
Fun Fact:An early use of soda blasting was to restore the Statue of Liberty in the 1980s!
We have used this method of cleaning in many homes in the Victor/Canandaigua area. So whether your business is vandalized by graffiti or if your home has experienced soot damage from a fire, call your restoration professionals at SERVPRO of Victor/Canandaigua located in Canandaigua NY to come soda blast your problems away!
Call Us Today!! (585) 393-0310